Friday 27 May 2011

Volunteer 'guides'.

This week I have been typing up some guides for volunteers working in the Kirkby Stephen East shop and also serving in the Company's buffet car. I spent a large slice of last Sunday following Sue around as she got into 'full flow' with a note pad and we went right through everything we do in the shop and galley from turning on the power in the morning and re-stocking shelves through to cashing-up the till and locking up.

To be honest I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to doing guides like this. On Wednesday I was back with my camera to take some pictures to include so that anyone using these little guides in future could see just which buttons to press and which cups to use for tea, coffee, chocolate and soup!

Here is the key point though! We are almost into June and by the time we arrive at the '150 Celebrations' at the end of August we will need many more volunteers who can give a few hours sometimes to help us run the visitor services. We are moving now from a focus on re-building to a focus on running a railway and that can be a lot of fun.

Would you like to sign up as a visitor services volunteer, or at least come up to the station and see the kind of things involved? Then why not give us a ring? You can contact me, Iain Robinson, on (017683) 74988 and I will tell you all about it

No comments:

Post a Comment