Tuesday 19 April 2011

Retirement Photo

Here is an interesting photograph that arrived with me yesterday, I think originally from Mark Keefe. It shows the retirement of Percy Sarginson, the last stationmaster at Kirkby Stephen East during its 150 years of operation as a working railway junction.

I guess that dates the picture as being taken in or about 1962. The event was held in the Croglin Castle Hotel. I'm told that at least one of the people pictured - Norman - is still alive and now 91 years old.

I wonder if any readers can tell us about anyone in this picture and something about their life at Kirkby Stephen East? If you have any memories please e-mail me. The one that caught my eye at once was Syd Jones, a close friend of my grandfather and a signalman. He lived in Nateby a few doors up from the 'Black Bull' and had I think three daughters. He also loved 'Pinky and Perky' music and was glued to their show on TV on Sunday afternoons! After the closure of the line he moved away, I think to a railway post in the Lostock Hall area.

My guess about 'not known' left is that he is someone from Divisional HQ come over to make a presentation. Perhaps someone from the Cumbria Rail Association can identify him.

If you want to look at the picture more closely click on it and it will open in a larger format

No comments:

Post a Comment