Thursday 21 April 2011

Stainmore Sign update

I had an e-mail from Sue Jones yesterday bringing me up to date with the appeal that we launched a fortnight ago.  I wrote about it on this diary on 7th April and you can find that original 'blog' here.


Sue tells me that we raised £259 within the first two weeks of the appeal which means that we will soon be able to get the replica sign plates cut by Hydram - the first stage in the production of the new sign. However we still need to raise a further £4,500 to get the complete signs manufactured and erected on site at the summit.


We have already had many interesting and often moving comments from people who have made a contribution towards these new signs - a reminder if one were needed of the profound effect that the Stainmore line had on people's lives and the affection with which it is still remembered. Here are just a selection of the comments that Sue has received in letters sent with cheques for the fund.


  • PGS of Stockton writes: "I well remember my last emotion charged journey over the line, as we slogged our way through Barras ( after running short of steam!) and up to the summit aboard the 'Stainmore Limited' on Saturday night, 20 January 1962."
  • R&EF of Morcambe write: "We often travel along this stretch of the A66 and look forward to seeing the successful completion of your venture."
  • GJ of Warwickshire writes: "I travelled the Stainmore line in June 1940 ( I grew up in Nateby) and thence many times more as I went to University in Newcastle (53-57). I have happy memories of the line as was so sad when 'Beeching & Co' destroyed it."
  • JM of Morcambe cites her reason for donation: "My father was a driver of Kirkby shed starting as a cleaner."
  • HNS of Jersey (our first Channel Islander) writes: "my connection with the Stainmore line is my later father , who originated from Darlington, was a signalman at Merrybent Junction and I have always had a keen interest in the Stainmore Route."
Sue has reminded me that anyone generous enough to donate £10 or over to the fund will receive a special 'Stainmore 150' commemorative certificate acknowledging their valuable contribution to the re-birth of our railway over August Bank Holiday this year. Please make cheques payable to'Stainmore Railway Company' and send to:
Stainmore Sign Appeal

Dr Sue Jones 
Secretary to Stainmore Railway Company 
1 West End 
Sedgefield 
TS21 2BW

No comments:

Post a Comment