Saturday 7 May 2011

Where were the ploughs kept?

Over the next several days I need to give our 'Stainmore 150' web site a good 'Spring Clean', deleting some outdated content and adding a lot of new material. The 'menu bars' - which are often the hardest thing to keep up to date on a fast changing site - also need some attention.

Today I added a new page on Bryan Blundell's North Eastern Railway snowplough, which will be on site over the Celebration weekend. No.18 normally lives on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and I have included one of Frank Dargue's photographs to show what these ploughs looked like in service. You can find the page here

One point that was in my mind writing this piece up was that I could never remember seeing a snowplough parked up at Kirkby Stephen East, although there must have been one. I guess that it was kept on the little set of engineers sidings just up from the Nateby Road Bridge at Stenkrith. That was quite a shady and secluded spot and I never did take a look at what was kept there over the years.

So - there is today's question - can you remember ploughs standing on that track on the left hand side of the train just as it tucked into the bank on the way to the summit? And what else was kept there?

No comments:

Post a Comment